Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Scar on my Right Knee - 1957

So this isn't about grandpa.  Two blocks from his house was the grade school, complete with a playground.  We were allowed to go play, without an adult.  The merry-go-round was unique.  You sat on a bench and had a bar to hold onto.  Two opposing seats had a pivot bar that you could pump with arms and legs, to make it go around.  A mechanical marvel!  It wasn't going fast enough, so I got off to push.  I pushed so well and others pumped so hard, it really took off.  I lost my footing and still holding on, was dragged about halfway around, on my right knee.  I cried, my knee looked like hamburger.  Susan (always the "oldest so you're in charge") took me back to grandpas.  Mom fixed it by pouring alcohol over it.  After the shock of the burn, it was better.  I still liked that merry-go-round! 

1 comment:

  1. That was the coolest merry-go-round ever. It makes me think that one could design playground equiptment that could produce power and the world could be lit by children playing.

    ReplyDelete